Monday, December 6, 2010

The Real Seeker

When one thinks of perfect they think of something that is beyond amazement. They think of something so great that we cannot even imagine it. When many philosophers or religious people think of perfect they think of G-d. Descartes believed that G-d was and is perfect. He believes this because we are imperfect and if something or someone was to be ideal or amazing it would be “one a perfect entity,” G-d. Since he believes this he also believes that G-d must exist. He must be around us because he is perfect and to be this way he must be the incredible idea that we have of him. G-d would not let us down with the ideas that we are left to believe with.
When I read this in Jostein Gaardner’s novel Sophie’s World, I thought of how true this idea is. It made me think about Descartes idea of the existence of G-d and how it is impossible that G-d does not exist. Although I have been religious and a follower of G-d my whole life, I still had those short moments of doubt along the way. I remember at the age of five or six, I thought about the existence of myself. I had wondered if I was real or if I was just a dream. When I asked my mother this question, she quickly answered with, “of course you’re real.” That answer had not satisfied me though, which is why it led me to have some doubt about the world and G-d. After I read Descartes section, I got goose bumps because I was so taken aback. I was thankful to know that there was some idea that made sure I existed. It was comforting to know this.
I also especially liked his quote, “I think therefore I am.” This made me think of how we make our own beliefs. Although his meaning was about the existence of ourselves, I thought of how with thinking and believing, we do completely exist, and we can start to create other ideas and truths about life. When we find doubt in certain aspects about our lives and become incredibly curious, we become determined to find the answer. Descartes ideas were the most fascinating for me, and reading about his findings really made me have some doubt about my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment